Worth a Day Trip
Asheville offers several one-of-a-kind experiences that make for an excellent day trip from Balsam Mountain.
- Biltmore Estate: Explore the beautiful grounds, try wines from the vineyard, and come back for an ever-changing display of artists at this 250-room castle.
- Sierra Nevada Brewery: This beautiful facility sits on 190 acres of forest along the French Broad River. It’s a perfect place to enjoy a day with your family, farm-to-table food, live music, games, and of course, great beer!
- Blue Ridge Parkway: As America’s longest linear park covering 469 miles, the Blue Ridge Parkway connects Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Shenandoah National Park. With glorious overlooks, winding roads, and constantly changing vistas, this journey is a destination in itself.
Arts of All Kinds
The New York Times, Travel + Leisure, and many other publications have recognized Asheville as a premier arts destination.
- River Arts District: Meet and talk with artists, potters, painters, sculptors, jewelry makers, and more in their studios throughout this eclectic and walkable section of Asheville.
- Asheville Downtown Galleries Association: Browse 24 distinct galleries offering glass arts, sculptures, pottery, fine paintings, jewelry, and much more.
- For Your Ears: With street performers, drum circles, and plenty of bars showcasing local talent, there’s an abundance of opportunities to enjoy live music throughout the city.
From performing arts and theatre to an array of films and festivals, Asheville draws visitors year-round for a cultural adventure.
- Asheville Symphony Orchestra: Enjoy any one of seven full-orchestra Masterworks concerts each year in Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in downtown Asheville.
- Asheville Community Theater: For more than 60 years, local talent has put on impressive performances at the community theater to delight Asheville visitors and residents alike.
- Diana Wortham Theater: This performing arts center is home to the ballet, lyric opera, and hundreds of live theater and musical performances throughout the year
Food & Drink
With a wide range of diverse culinary experiences and thriving craft beer scene, Asheville always feels like a vacation for your tastebuds.
- Breweries Galore: Asheville offers more than 30 breweries to explore, earning recognition as the top U.S. city for beer drinkers. Wicked Weed, New Belgium, and Green Man are among our favorites.
- International Culinary Experiences: Indulge yourself in a culinary adventure with a plethora of international dining excellence like Bouchon—dining with a French twist, or Spin-influenced Curate— one of Asheville’s most talked about restaurants.
- Vegan and Veggie Friendly: Vegan and vegetarian options are easy to come by in Asheville with many popular restaurants—like The Laughing Seed Café—keeping menus completely animal-free.