As a resident at Balsam Mountain Preserve, top quality healthcare and opportunities for ongoing education are never far away.
Healthcare accessibility is another major benefit for the residents of Balsam Mountain Preserve.
- Harris Regional Medical Center: Just five minutes from the main gatehouse, Harris Regional is an 86-bed acute care facility with four major expansions since the 1980s.
- Haywood Regional Medical Center: A quick 11 miles away, Haywood Regional is an acute care hospital with an ER, Urgent Care Center, Home Care Center, and a large 54,000 square foot Health and Wellness Center.
- Asheville’s Mission Hospital: This regional facility is consistently rated among the top 100 heart and orthopedic hospitals in the United States.
The pursuit of learning never grows old—or out of reach—with several esteemed universities just around the corner from Balsam Mountain Preserve.
- Western Carolina University: Located about 15 minutes from the main gatehouse, this college is home to about 9,000 students.
- Haywood Community College: Found in nearby Clyde, this community college offers over 50 curricular programs.
- Asheville’s Center for Creative Retirement: The University of North Carolina-Asheville offers an impressive array of continuing education programs for learners of all ages.
Balsam Mountain offers the best of both worlds: the seclusion and privacy of a mountain retreat along with easy access to everyday essentials.
- Barber Orchard Fruit Stands: This seasonal produce stand opens in August and runs through Christmas Eve, offering a variety of apples and locally sourced apple products.
- Area Grocery Stores: Waynesville offers two upscale Ingles Super Markets in addition to a Food Lion located just outside of Sylva. A Publix in Waynesville is also scheduled for completion in 2019.